Placement; Day 1 & 2.

You know when you're in a surreal situation? that you just cannot believe? like you're awaiting the moment someone pinches you, and all you can do is sigh and thing 'ugh, one day.' that sums up day one and two at PRH. Day one was exciting. I got to explore the building, figure out what was where, who was who (vaguely), how most things worked, and what i'd be seeing of. Lunch breaks are less about eating and more about raiding the pulp shelf. How can i only take two books from the wide selection? London is such a big city and i am one small person marching to the Strand Office Mon-Fri for two weeks, achieving a little dream. 

In films, people move to this big city and suddenly, within 1 hr and 20 minutes, they've achieved all their hopes and dreams. For 21 years, well more like 14 years, I've been changing my mind about careers. I wanted to be a dancer, then a singer (can't sing, MINOR problem. Punny.) then a fashion designer, then a chef etc. I've been up and down the job scale telling myself i basically wanted to be everything. In my eyes, i could do ANYTHING. When i discovered a love for English, and story telling i realised that is what i wanted. I could be anyone in a story, without having to have 20840384 career options. If i wanted to write about Jenny the chef from Newcastle, then I COULD. I CAN. 

At 14, i wanted everything. At 21, i feel like i have everything. Life is in my hands and i can pretty much achieve anything if i'm working my butt off. Suddenly, the films make sense. Well, i wasn't going to achieve everything in an hour and twenty minutes. I'd do it eventually though! Rome wasn't built in a day. 

A few years ago, i was in and out of education. Unsure of how i was going to get myself to university. No motivation, no support, and no qualifications. Luckily dragging myself back to college, somehow got me there. Now here i am, doing work experience with Penguin Random House. A place that has probably published many of the books that i have cried into, fell asleep on or got lost inside. I never believed i'd be here, but i am. The excitement of having an email that is "@PenguinRandomHouse.' AMAZING. Even if i never got to set foot in a publishers again, i'm already thankful for my experience so far. My dream would feel semi complete because I've had my taster. 

And it's only day 2. 

HERE'S TO THE NEXT WEEK OR SO. 

Brookly. 

Comments

Popular Posts