5 Things i've learnt so far at University.

First year of university feels so daunting, and you can't complain because all they'll tell you is 'it doesn't count.' like that is somehow supposed to take the stress away. Here are five things I've learnt from being at University for just two years.

1. You don't need to get a first in everything. My first few grades in First year weren't the greatest, and i believe that meant that i wasn't cut out for my degree. Realistically, a grade doesn't mean that much. A pass is still a pass. Doesn't matter if it's 48 or 65, you've passed. Regardless, there's always room for improvement within assignments, so why doesn't it matter if you got 55, but some other person got 72? It doesn't. Your lecturers drill it into your heads that a first is the best, and if you want it you need to start working ASAP, but they don't remind you that it is also okay if you don't get a first in everything.

2. You don't always need to take notes. When i got to university with 5 notebooks, i believed i NEEDED them. Then by second term of first year, i had stopped taking notes. You slowly come to the realisation that some lectures simply suck, and your lecturer isn't really saying anything useful and that's alright. Taking notes is good, but taking notes of pointless things is a waste of time and energy.

3. You probably won't use the majority of your coursebooks. You would think doing an English degree would mean my coursebooks would be useful, and ever so important. NO! One of my books in first year was 642 things to write about. If i wanted to be given 642 things to write about, I'm sure i would've picked up the mediocre notebook myself in Water stones. Well probably not for £12.99. I can tell you the book is still unfilled, collecting dust on my bookshelf. My point is don't fret if you don't use your coursebooks all that much. I'm sure most university students rely on e-books and journal articles, and that is just fine.

4. Don't expect to find a seat at the library, and don't expect quiet. The library in school is never a busy thing, then you get to university and suddenly you're surrounded by tons of people procrastinating together. When you actually want to work this is a little frustrating, but it's basically impossible to keep yourself motivated when you do want to work but you cannot find a seat. You're better off trekking to a busy coffee shop, and ignoring your surroundings. SURE, you'll have noise everywhere but at least you'll have coffee! and a seat...

5. There is going to be people on your course that believe they're better than everyone. I was completely unaware that i would be surround by so many people like this when i got to university. I believed everyone would be on the same page, but then when you get to those little seminar groups and pinpoint the ass holes that are all like 'Can't believe i only got a 70.' that's when you figure out who you want to avoid. I wish i could say that not all degrees have these people, but oh i am certain they do. If you think you're brilliant, go you. BUT why would you come to University if you believe you're so great? Is there really anything else you could learn? You clearly already know everythingggg. Avoid the pretentious wankers and if you believe your university course doesn't have any then you probably are the pretentious ass hole.

Thank you for reading my very ranty post about University. I really love my degree, deep down, in the black hole that is my soul.

Happy Learning, aha.

Brookly T

Comments

Popular Posts